The Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Shareholders’ Alliance is a leading organization supporting Commercial IFQ Fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico. Its goal is to protect the interests of the fishing industry. Some of our activities include:
- Creating a sophisticated and transparent “chain of custody” program that ensures the integrity of “safe” and “fresh” claims on seafood harvested from across the Gulf region and beyond.
- Providing a unified voice for Gulf fishermen in time of disaster, both natural and otherwise.
- Expanding commercial IFQs to include vermilion snapper, amberjack, grey triggerfish, and king mackerel.
- Exploring opportunities with national environmental groups to develop an eco-friendly designation for IFQ fish.
- Developing a methodology for allocating (and reallocating) fish between the commercial and sport fisheries.
- Working with regulators, elected officials, and environmentalists to help commercial IFQ fisheries become an economic and conservation success